The first step in the special education process is to determine if the student qualifies to receive services. If a student is not eligible one year, they may be eligible the next year, or as more information becomes available about their needs.
- Evaluation Start here with sample letters, timelines, and common questions.
- Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team MET holds a meeting to look at the data/results, and determine if the child meets the eligibility requirements.
- Eligibility Categories Michigan has 13 educational labels with specific eligibility requirements.
- Re-evaluation For students already receiving special education services, eligibility must be reviewed every three years.
- Section 504 Plan If a student is not eligible for special education services, parents can request a plan for accommodations.