The first step in the special education process is to determine if the student qualifies to receive services. Evaluation and assessment is also important for identifying all areas of need in the Present Level of Academic Achievement and Functional Performance (PLAAFP) statement.
- Evaluation Start here with sample letters, timelines, and common questions.
- Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team MET holds a meeting to look at the data/results, and determine if the child meets the eligibility requirements.
- Eligibility Categories Michigan has 13 educational labels with specific eligibility requirements.
- Re-evaluation For students already receiving special education services, eligibility must be reviewed every three years.
- Section 504 Plan If a student is not eligible for special education services, parents can request a plan for accommodations.