All behavior happens for a reason. For some individuals with disabilities, behavior may be the only way they have to communicate a need or frustration. When challenging behavior interferes with the learning process, it must be addressed. Merely interrupting these behaviors is not enough. Special education law allows for an evaluation to determine why the behavior is happening and to develop a plan to teach alternative behaviors.
If a student’s behavior impedes their learning or the learning of others, the IEP team must consider the use of positive behavioral interventions and supports, and other strategies, to address the behavior. Any needed interventions should be documented in the IEP.
These resources can help address behavior concerns. Don’t see what you’re looking for? Search the bigger A-Z list or contact us.
- Accommodations/Modifications Sometimes an accommodation or modification to the classroom or the curriculum is the solution to a challenging behavior
- Behavior Intervention Plan A written plan that identifies problem behaviors and how they will be addressed.
- Behavior is Communication All behavior happens for a reason, but why?
- Bullying Definitions, actions to take, specific protections for students with disabilities.
- Discipline Covering discipline, suspension, expulsion, manifestation determination review.
- Functional Behavior Assessment/Analysis A process for collecting data and analyzing the function of (ie- the reason why) a challenging behavior is occurring.
- Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports A pro-active approach to addressing challenging behaviors that teaches positive behavior skills rather than just using punishment.
- Seclusion and Restraint “Seclusion” means the confinement in a room or other space from which the student is physically prevented from leaving. “Restraint” means an action that prevents or significantly restricts a student’s movement.
- School-Wide Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports A building-wide initiative to support all students in school.
Michigan Alliance for Families is available to help. Contact us with questions. Check out our calendar of upcoming events. Recorded videos are available for viewing at any time.