Michigan Alliance for Families has gathered these parent, community, and student resources. Parents should review their district’s plan and any associated documents.
- Guidance on the Recommended Use of Contingency Learning Plans As communities continue to work through COVID-19 outbreaks and the complications that the outbreaks bring to educating all students, the Michigan Department of Education Office of Special Education reminds traditional public school districts, public school academies, and ISDs of their continuous obligations under IDEA to provide a free appropriate public education (FAPE) to students with IEPs. (3/2022)
- Letter to Educators and Parents Regarding New CDC Recommendations This document is intended to help educators, staff, and families thoughtfully design learning experiences for all students (including students with disabilities) and reiterates key rights to make sure students with disabilities can maintain equal access to in-person instruction and receive a free appropriate public education (FAPE) in the least restrictive environment (LRE). (3/24/2022)
- MDHHS updates Isolation and Quarantine Guidance for Michiganders in Recovery Phase Updated guidance based on low COVID-19 numbers, state entering post-surge recovery phase. (3/11/2022)
- Supporting Child and Student Social, Emotional, Behavioral, and Mental Health Needs From the federal Office of Special Education Programs to provide information and resources to enhance the promotion of mental health and the social and emotional well-being among children and students. (10/19/2021)
- Long COVID under Section 504 and the IDEA: A Resource to Support Children, Students, Educators, Schools, Service Providers, and Families Guidance from OCR and OSERS concerning long COVID as a disability and clarifies that long COVID can be a disability that gives rise to Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) eligibility and may also be a disability under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act. (7/2021)
Resources related to the pandemic:
- Return to School Resources Resources to assist with finding your district’s plan, making decisions for your child with an IEP/IFSP, planning for success, and problem solving.
- Resources for Distance Learning with an IEP Strategies to support your child with a disability during distance learning
- Contingency Learning Plan IEP teams can create a contingency learning plan to explain the special education and related services the district will provide during time away from school.
- Documentation/ Keeping Track for Parents Keep track of events and conversations to be better prepared for conversations about extended school year, recovery services, and compensatory education. Includes suggestions of how and what to log.
- IEP Meetings During COVID-19 Tips for participating in virtual IEP meetings.
- Foregone Learning and Recovery Services Additional services districts may provide to students with IEPs to address the loss of learning resulting from the school shutdown in March 2020.
- Helping Your Child Understand COVID-19 Find social stories and other supports for anxiety and mental health.
- COVID Glossary A quick look at new words and phrases being used.
- Guidance and Resources from the State and Federal Government Executive Orders, MDE Guidance, and other State and Federal information