Michigan Alliance for Families has gathered these parent, community, and student resources. As districts move between in person and virtual models, Parents should review their district’s plan and any associated documents.
- NEW: CDC K-12 Operational Strategy New guidance on safely reopening schools to in-person learning. The COVID-19 Handbook Volume 1: Strategies for Safely Reopening Elementary and Secondary Schools includes guidance specific to students with disabilities. (2/12)
- The “Return to Learn for Students with IEPs” webinar from Michigan Department of Education Office of Special Education (MDE OSE) covers recently released guidance, and the six special education priority topic areas for the 2020-2021 school year.
- MDHHS Guidance for Coordination of Behavioral Health Medicaid Waiver Services and Educational Distance Learning in the COVID-19 Context Medicaid-funded behavioral health
services that do not interfere with a child’s education can and should be provided during virtual
school hours if medically necessary and not duplicative of any in-home behavioral supports or
services being provided by the school during this time. (11/5)
- FAPE and COVID-19- What Families Need to Know This video explains what FAPE and LRE mean and what that may look like during the current COVID-19 pandemic. We’ll dive into new terminology, like foregone learning, contingency learning plan and recovery services, and review the guidance available from Michigan Department of Education. (10/21)
Resources related to the pandemic:
- Resources for Distance Learning with an IEP Strategies to support your child with disabilities during distance learning
- Special Education Services During COVID-19 Special education services during the pandemic will look different, and your child may have additional needs to consider.
- Documentation/ Keeping Track for Parents Keep track of events and conversations to be better prepared for conversations about extended school year, recovery services, and compensatory education. Includes suggestions of how and what to log.
- Return to School Resources Resources to assist with finding your district’s plan, making decisions for your child with an IEP/IFSP, planning for success, and problem solving.
- Foregone Learning and Recovery Services Additional services districts may provide to students with IEPs to address the loss of learning resulting from the school shutdown in March 2020.
- IEP Meetings During COVID-19 Tips for participating in virtual IEP meetings.
- Special Education Evaluation During COVID-19 Virtual evaluations, timelines, and extensions.
- Early On® Services During COVID-19 Information and resources related to early childhood services
- Transitioning to Adulthood During COVID-19 IEP teams have a unique opportunity to create meaningful distance learning activities at home for transition-age students.
- Helping Your Child Understand COVID-19 Find social stories and other supports for anxiety and mental health.
- COVID Glossary A quick look at new words and phrases being used.
- Guidance and Resources from the State and Federal Government Executive Orders, MDE Guidance, and other State and Federal information
- Additional Families Needs Internet Access, Food Support, 211.