Visit our COVID-19 homepage for additional topics.
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Three Week Pause Emergency Restrictions In-person classes at high schools statewide were suspended for several weeks (starting 11/18, through 12/20). Exceptions can be made for students with IEPs.
- MDHHS Guidance for Coordination of Behavioral Health Medicaid Waiver Services and Educational Distance Learning in the COVID-19 Context Medicaid-funded behavioral health
services that do not interfere with a child’s education can and should be provided during virtual
school hours if medically necessary and not duplicative of any in-home behavioral supports or
services being provided by the school during this time. (11/5)
- MDHSS Epidemic Order replaced previous Executive Orders issued by Governor Whitmer (10/29)
- Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order No. 2020-142 addresses the provision of preK–12 education for the 2020–2021 school year.
- MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap provides safety protocols divided into required, highly recommended, and recommended for each of the areas.
- MI SAFE START School must be virtual if a region is in phase 1, 2, or 3 of the MI Safe Start plan. Phase 4 allows in-person learning with strict safety protocols. Phase 5 calls for in-person instruction with more flexible guidelines. A chart showing the 6 phases is on page 2. A map showing reporting regions is on page 3.
- AT-A-GLANCE MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap MEA
Michigan Department of Education resources
- COVID-19 Education Resources Webpage For most up to date guidance from MDE, see memos listed here
- Facial Covering Requirements for Students with Disabilities MDE Memo on importance of facial coverings and considerations for students with disabilities. 10-21-2020
- MI Safe Schools: Michigan’s 2020-21 Return to School Roadmap provides guidance to districts creating local plans for in-person and remote learning in the fall. The Roadmap safety protocols are divided into required, highly recommended, and recommended for each of the areas. 6-30-2020
- Guidance to Address Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Establishes special education priority topics for the 2020-2021 school year and provides answers to questions MDE has received 8-26-20. MDE also has a recorded webinar that walks through the guidance document and highlights the 6 priority topics. 9-28-20
- Guidance to Address Foregone Learning for Students with IEPs as a Result of the COVID19 Pandemic Students with IEPs may benefit from recovery services due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Recovery services are supplemental to the offer of FAPE and are in response to foregone learning that may have occurred as a result of closure during the pandemic and the potential additional impact of the loss for a student with an IEP. 7-7-2020
- Comparison of Compensatory Education and Recovery Services Due to COVID-19 When determining whether recovery services are required, the IEP team must consider the actual impact of the extended school closure on the student’s ability to retain skills and make progress toward their IEP goals and in the general curriculum. 6-2020
- Special Education Memo (PDF)
- Early On Guidance Memo (PDF) 5-4-2020
- Guidance for Compliance With the IDEA and the MARSE During the COVID-19 Pandemic Version 2.0 5-18-2020
- Learning at a Distance Guidance (PDF)
- Educator’s Guide to Supporting Social and Emotional Needs of Students (PDF)
- Family Matters Fact Sheet: Navigating Extended Time Away From School English, Arabic, Spanish
Coronavirus resources from the US Department of Education
- COVID-19 (“Coronavirus”) Information and Resources for Schools For most up to date guidance from Department of Education, see resources listed here
- Questions and Answers for K-12 Public Schools In the Current COVID-19 Environment US Dept of Education Office of Civil Rights issued this technical assistance 9-28-2020
- Part B Provision of Services Q&A OSEP document in response to inquiries about implementing IDEA during COVID-19 9-28-2020
- Preparing K-12 School Administrators for a Safe Return to School in Fall 2020 Guidance from the CDC outlines how to resume in-person instruction. 7-23-2020
- Questions and Answers on Providing Services to Children with Disabilities During the Coronavirus Disease Outbreak (PDF) March 2020
- Fact Sheet: Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Schools While Protecting the Civil Rights of Students 3-16-2020
- Supplemental Fact Sheet Addressing the Risk of COVID-19 in Preschool, Elementary and Secondary Schools While Serving Children with Disabilities (PDF) 3-20-2020
- Short Webinar Online Education and Website Accessibility OCR
- Continuity Learning During Covid-19 OSEP