School systems must take the necessary steps to give parents the opportunity to understand the proceedings at an IEP team meeting. This includes arranging for an interpreter for parents with deafness or whose native language is other than English.
- Is an Interpreter Needed? This NICHCY legacy document explains the “native language” requirement for parent participation in the IEP process.
- Dear Colleague Letter Families may need IEP document translation to have meaningful access not just during the meeting, but across school years to monitor progress and make sure IEP services are provided.
The Michigan Alliance for Families website can be translated into another language with the click of a button. At the top of each page, there is a TRANSLATE button. This webpage also links to resources for cultural competency and multiculturalism.
Looking for materials other languages?
- Procedural Safeguards Notice is available in several languages
- Wayne RESA has many forms in Arabic and Spanish.
- Family Matters Fact Sheets MDE (English, Spanish, Arabic)
- PACER Center has translated content available.
- Right to have materials in your language
Developing the IEP. A legacy document from NICHCY – When developing an IEP for a student with limited English proficiency, the IEP Team must consider the student’s level of English language proficiency.
What about assessments? Find Questions & Answers Regarding Inclusion of English Learners with Disabilities in English Language Proficiency Assessments from US Department of Education
Resources for cultural competence and multiculturalism.
- Intercultural Development Research Association
- Medline Plus Health Information in Multiple Languages
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights – Resources for building cultural competence
- Multicultural Pavilion
- Multicultural Sources for Health Information
- Translations of Selected OSE/EIS Documents: Procedural Safeguards Translations
- Washington Learning Systems (Includes free resources in Spanish, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, English and Somali)