Medical Services

When a student is found to be eligible for special education services, they also qualify to receive related services in school. Many children with disabilities, especially those who are medically fragile, could not attend school without the supportive services of school nurses and other qualified people.

School health services and school nurse services means health services that are designed to enable a child with a disability to receive free appropriate public education (FAPE). School nurse services are provided by a qualified school nurse. School health services are services that may be provided by either a qualified school nurse or other qualified person.

Health-related support includes:

  • special feedings
  • clean intermittent catheterization
  • suctioning
  • management of a tracheostomy
  • administering and/or dispensing medications
  • planning for the safety of a child in school
  • ensuring that care is given while at school and at school functions to prevent injury
  • chronic disease management
  • conducting and/or promoting education and skills training for caregivers in the school setting.

Determining what related services a child needs is the responsibility of the IEP team, of which parents are always a member. Key information will come from the evaluation process. The IEP team must look carefully at the evaluation results, which show areas of strength and need, and decide upon which related services are appropriate for the child. The school must then provide these services as part of the IEP and the offer of FAPE.

What if the school says my child needs medication?

Schools can’t require ADHD drugs. School personnel do not have the necessary medical training to tell parents to place their children on medication. ADD/ADHD is a medical condition, and because some of the symptoms may be symptoms of other conditions, a physician needs to evaluate and suggest any course of treatment.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email