Disproportionality occurs when students from a particular racial/ethnic group are notably over-represented or under-represented as compared to the overall student population.
Federal law requires each state to collect and examine data to determine if students, based on race and ethnicity, are
- disproportional identification for special education services
- disproportionate placement of children in particular educational settings
- disproportional discipline (including suspension and expulsion)
Learn more about significant disproportionality:
- MDE Significant Disproportionality (includes lists of identified schools)
- Resources to Address Disproportionality (Parent Center Hub)