Visit our COVID-19 homepage for additional topics.
The upcoming school-year will again look different for all children, but there are extra concerns for children and youth receiving special education services. To help families return to school, Michigan Alliance for Families has gathered these resources to assist with finding your district’s plan, making decisions for your child, planning for success, and problem solving.
For additional support, connect with the Parent Mentor in your part of the state.
- Guidance to Address Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Establishes special education priority topics for the 2020-2021 school year and provides answers to questions MDE has received.
Return to School Webinar Series
Join Michigan Alliance for Families for a series of FREE webinars for parents of children with IEPs as we get ready to head back to school. All webinars take place on Thursdays at 12pm.
Attend the entire series or just the ones that interest you most. Webinars will be also be streamed on Facebook Live.
August 5 – Advocating For Your Child As They Return to School
Register at tinyurl.com/RTS85
A conversation with Michigan Alliance for Families Regional Parent Mentors on making tough decisions, planning for success, and problem solving for the return to school for your child with an IEP.
• Managing back to school for your child with an IEP or IFSP
• Getting supports and services your child to transition back to school this fall
• Understanding your options and considerations for decision making
August 12 – Student Self-Advocacy
Register at tinyurl.com/RTS812
Let’s talk about speaking up for yourself! Youth with disabilities are empowered when they have the right tools and strategies to manage their feelings, their learning, and their needs.
• Learn to develop your self-advocacy skills
• Find opportunities to engage in self-advocacy at school and in the community
• Learn about local, state, and national resources to support self-advocacy
August 19 – Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health Needs
Register at tinyurl.com/RTS819
Changes in schedules and school routines can be stressful for all of us and are especially hard on kids who struggle with anxiety or other mental health challenges. During this webinar, we’ll share practical tips, strategies and tools you can use to help you support your child’s learning and success as they return to school, whether they are attending in person or virtually.
August 26 – Using PBIS Tools To Transition Back To School
Register at tinyurl.com/RTS826
Join us for this online workshop where we will share behavior tips, reinforcement strategies, and support tools you can use to help your kids return to school this fall. This webinar will focus on creating and implementing Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) strategies for:
• Routines, expectations, and rules
• Reminding, recognizing, and rewarding behavior
• Responding to and correcting unwanted behavior