Visit our COVID-19 homepage for additional topics.
The upcoming school-year will again look different for all children, but there are extra concerns for children and youth receiving special education services. To help families return to school, Michigan Alliance for Families has gathered these resources to assist with finding your district’s plan, making decisions for your child, planning for success, and problem solving.
For additional support, connect with the Parent Mentor in your part of the state.
- Guidance to Address Return to Learn for Students with IEPs Establishes special education priority topics for the 2020-2021 school year and provides answers to questions MDE has received.
- Transitioning Back to School During a Pandemic Written for Parents of Children and Adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Return to School Webinar Series 2021
Michigan Alliance for Families hosted a series of webinars for parents of children with IEPs as we get ready to head back to school.
Advocating For Your Child As They Return to School
Recording- Advocating For Your Child As They Return to School
Webinar Resources- Advocating For Your Child As They Return To School
A conversation with Michigan Alliance for Families Regional Parent Mentors on making tough decisions, planning for success, and problem solving for the return to school for your child with an IEP.
• Managing back to school for your child with an IEP or IFSP
• Getting supports and services your child to transition back to school this fall
• Understanding your options and considerations for decision making
• Student Self-Advocacy
Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health Needs
Recording- Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health Needs
Webinar Resources- Supporting Your Child’s Mental Health Needs
Changes in schedules and school routines can be stressful for all of us and are especially hard on kids who struggle with anxiety or other mental health challenges. During this webinar, we’ll share practical tips, strategies and tools you can use to help you support your child’s learning and success as they return to school, whether they are attending in person or virtually.
Using PBIS Tools To Transition Back To School
Recording- Using PBIS Tools To Transition Back To School
Webinar Resources- Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports Join us for this online workshop where we will share behavior tips, reinforcement strategies, and support tools you can use to help your kids return to school this fall. This webinar will focus on creating and implementing Positive Behavior Intervention and Supports (PBIS) strategies for:
• Routines, expectations, and rules
• Reminding, recognizing, and rewarding behavior
• Responding to and correcting unwanted behavior