Sometimes a disability is caused by a genetic disorder- a problem with genes inherited from parents, errors when genes combine, or other reasons. A child with a genetic disorder may be eligible for special education supports and services.
Understanding Genetics is a resource of the Genetic Alliance. It begins with a basic introduction to genetics concepts, followed by detailed information on topics such as diagnosis of genetic conditions, family history, newborn screening, genetic counseling, understanding patient stories, and ethical, legal, and social issues in genetics.
Additional resources include:
- More Disability Specific Information Michigan Alliance for Families
- Disability Specific Information Fact Sheets NICHCY Legacy
- Michigan’s Genetics Resource Center
- Genetic Alliance
- National Organization for Rare Disorders
- Genetic and Rare Disorders Support